Below is a list of items that should be in your goat first aid kit. Please note, some of these items should only be used on the advice of your vet. However, having them on hand can save time during life threatening situations.
Goat first aid kit
- Digital thermometer*
- Probios (probiotic paste)
- Topical antiseptic
- Blood stop powder
For use only as instructed by your vet:
- Activated charcoal gel (charcoal paste will also work it is harder to use)
- Children's Benadryl Syrup
- Syringes for oral medicating (variety of sizes, 3 cc, 6 cc and 12 cc)
* Learning to take your goat’s temperature is simple and a sometimes necessary skill to learn and rest assured it doesn’t cause the goat any pain. A digital thermometer is used, rectally. Normal temperature range for goats is 101.5—103.5. Low temp is usually rumen/stomach related and a high temp is indicative of infection.